Right you are, Ken (vespa59) wrote,
Right you are, Ken


I'm dazed and exhausted. The company is trying to get in good with a certain gigantic wireless carrier. The deal is enormous and could actually hold the fate of our company and my expected internet millions. Right now, a couple of our sales guys and our head engineering honcho are in with said gigantic carrier doing a demo of our latest stuff. That'd be our latest stuff that's only been in development for a few weeks and is not nearly ready to be used by anyone without a really unique sense of humor. Still, I'm really hoping for a good demo, because this deal would kick so much ass for us, especially since we were a big-time underdog with this carrier a week ago.

The days leading up to this have been hectic to say the least. Monday, in the midst of moving offices and doing other stuff, we had to formulate the plan for this demo and figure out who's going where and doing what. Tuesday, we had to get moving on building the site and testing the wireless devices. I worked until around 9, then had to come back at 8 yesterday morning. The huge wireless carrier was FedExing us some devices to set up and test for the demo. They were supposed to arrive at 8, but didn't get here until 11:30. We had to set them up and test them and get them back in FedEx to arrive in GA by 8am today. Things were not working right yesterday. We banged on them until the last possible second, when I boxed them up quickly, and then hauled ass on my motorcycle all street fighter stylee to get to FedEx before they closed. I was in the office until about 8:30.

Then, we had to make a major change to the production load balancer to accommodate a weird request for the demo. This had to be done late at night by an Ops person. He was supposed to do it at 11, but didn't do it until after midnight. After that, we had to test for a while to make sure the change worked. I finally finished working around 1:30 this morning and went to bed... for three hours.

The demo was to start at 9am EST this morning, which meant that I had to be back in the office at 5am when the sales guys receieved the devices we FedEx'ed yesterday. I had to be here to help them get set up and make sure everything was working flawlessly before they did their dog and pony show, and I had to be here in case something went wrong and they needed to call.

So... two late nights, then one really late night followed by a really early morning after 3 hours of sleep. If that don't ensure this company making me a rich man, I don't know what will.

I just gotta make it through doing a couple of phone screens for QA candidates, and then it's nappy time.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.