Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I'm sure most of you know this, but...

The California DMV is a pit of inefficiency and irritation. I'm up to a total of three vehicles registered out of five, after three visits and probably about six hours worth of work. Today I visited the Redwood City DMV, as I'd had enough of the San Francisco one. This was a mistake. First off, the inspector who checked out the moped insisted that it's a motorcycle, because of the presence of a speedometer. Nevermind the fact that it has fucking PEDALS on it. So, I brought the papers inside and waited around a bit before noticing the sign that said that they don't take credit cards at that location. WHAT? What fucking year is this? I left and drove around Redwood City in horrifying traffic looking for an ATM. I was amazed at how ATMs seem to be on every fucking corner until you need one. I finally found a Wells Fargo inside a Safeway and got some cash. I got back to the DMV thirty minutes after my appointment time, but the lady with the numbers had mercy on me and put me in the queue. When I finally got my turn, the clerk refused to register the moped because it didn't have an engine number (that could be found). I told her it didn't have one and she said all motorcycles have to have one. I told her it's not a motorcycle, it's a MOPED. She said that it's a motorcycle and I had to motorcycle my ass over to the highway patrol and have them inspect it and say whether or not it's got an engine number. Grrrrrr. She did happily let me pay $80 to transfer the title and register it though. So, I'm going to take it over to the CHiPs with a printout of the vehicle code that shows that it's a freakin' moped and get a new inspection certificate. Then, I'm gonna go back to the DMV and see if they'll register it as such. The moped plates are way better. $16 and you never have to renew, and you don't need insurance.

Also, my truck is now registered as a commercial vehicle. I decided not to even bother arguing that one.


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Aug. 23rd, 2005 11:31 pm (UTC)
Just some (helpful) FYI
Truck registrations are determined by Gross Vehicle Weight. The problem with having a truck misclassified is that the state requires a "Commercial Vehicle License" to drive it. Plus, in many municipalities, parking vehicles classified as commerical in a residential area is against code. If a neighbor or traffic cop or parking monkey gets a bug up their ass about it, they could have it towed and you fined -- or at least put you through the hassle of explaining yourself and having it re-registered.
Aug. 23rd, 2005 11:51 pm (UTC)
Hopefully you get "Ponch" at the CHiPs office. He is so DREAMY....
Aug. 24th, 2005 07:36 am (UTC)
The fee for AAA is so worth it, just for the DMV services. I walked in, registered my car and motorcycle, and was out of there in five minutes. No line, no bullshit. It was beautiful.

And I hear they, like, tow and stuff too.

They've also got big ol' regional books that mom and I have used extensively on our trip - way more than the Frommers piece of shit - all for free. I'm a fan.
Aug. 24th, 2005 02:59 pm (UTC)
Yep... I'm a fan as well (I worked there for three years in younger days), but they don't do any DMV stuff for you if you're bringing in a vehicle from out of state.
Aug. 24th, 2005 07:57 pm (UTC)
triple a and registrations
That's odd. When we moved to this state from an East Coast state, triple A handled it all without a hitch. Beat the crap out of the DMV. It is indeed worth the m odest fee. Unless the rules have changed, you may want to keep that iin mind for future.
Aug. 24th, 2005 08:05 pm (UTC)
Re: triple a and registrations
Southern California AAA will do out-of-state DMV stuff. They'll do everything.

Northern California AAA won't do out-of-state vehicles... presumably because after a day or two of trying to navigate the mess that is the DMV up here, all of their employees would be homicidal and they'd have a post office powder keg situation on their hands.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )