After thinking it over a bit, I decided it would be almost as easy to just swap the entire motors with the transmissions intact. When all is said and done, I'll have my /5 with a nice strong motor and good transmission, plus all the other good parts I want off the /6 (shocks, carbs, etc...), and a good pile of stuff to part out.
So, yesterday morning, I started in on phase one: pulling the motor out of the /5. I pulled the seat off, the battery out, and the mufflers off. I tried to pull the exhaust headers off, but they wouldn't budge, so I shot them with some pretty hardcore penetrant (hehe) and left them overnight. Today, I whacked the shit out of them with a hammer and finally got them off. I pulled the carbs off and just as I was beginning to dismantle various electrical bits, vespaden showed up. We disconnected the rest of the electrical bits and cables and disconnected the transmission from the drive shaft. We then got rustbox808 over and with a bit of finesse and a whole lot of brute force, we shoehorned the motor out of the frame.
I'm thankful for my friends and amazed at our awesome accomplishment. That was more than enough for this weekend. Simon is here next weekend, so probabl not much work will be done, but hopefully the weekend after we can get the motor out of the /6 and in to the /5 frame and get that bike on the road. After that, it's just a matter of selling off what's left. Joy!
Here are some pictures of the days events.